Although New Bern is famous for its abundant waterways and history, our city is also known for its substantial art community. In particular, the downtown historic area is brimming with stores featuring local artists and their printings, pottery, jewelry, furniture, stained glass and more. New Bern has numerous galleries, art stores, and framing studios to spend the day appreciating other’s artwork or take classes to refine one’s own artistic skills. And for those preferring live performances, New Bern offers a year-round variety of concerts, comedy, dramatic, and musical stage productions.
The summer offers new opportunities to walk downtown and enjoy local artwork. Begin your fun in June:
- June 1-6th: The New Bern Artworks Fine Art Gallery presents, “Coastal Views, from 5-8 pm. Visit New Bern Art Works or call 252-634-9002 for more information.
- June 1: Bear Hands Art Factory & Framing presents the Fifth Annual Eastern Carolina Pottery Festival. For more information visit Bear Hands Art or call 252-514-ARTS
- June 1: Sweet Water in Concert, 6:00 pm at the Isaac Taylor Garden, 228 Craven St. for more information visit Issac Taylor Garden
- June 2: The Sleeping Beauty presented by the New Bern Ballet Company, 2:00 pm at Grover C. Field Performing Arts Center. For more information visit New Bern Ballet
- June 2: North Carolina Symphony performance at Tryon Palace, 7:00 pm, Tryon Palace South Lawn. For details call 800-767-1570. For more info visit North Carolina Symphony
- June 8: Jane Austen in June – special events scheduled throughout the North Carolina History Center and Tryon Palace. For details visit Tryon Palace or call 252-639-3524
Visit New Bern Now at for a list of Art Galleries, Shops, Concert Venues, theaters, calendars & more.
Marcia Werneke, co-owner
Neuse Realty, Inc.